Saturday, September 27, 2008

MEET JUNGLE JON!


I began my auction work with a series of drawings called Jungle Jon, Prince of the Wild. The idea first came to me after I saw the animated Walt Disney version of Tarzan and it occurred to me that Tarzan's loincloth is a complete non-sequitur. Tarzan is a nature myth about the natural world doing what man has always done to nature, and reclaiming an infant who would have been raised "civilized". As man has always had his way with nature, so nature had its way with Tarzan. It's only because of our provincial fear and loathing of the human body (especially the male body) that Tarzan is portrayed with a loincloth; to be true to the concept, the character should be naked! The character in the Quantum Male Art title image above, Wild Jon, is a super-hero variation on the Jungle Jon concept. It's something new that I started brainstorming last year. Wild Jon lives in Manhattan and wears clothes but doesn't like them; Jungle Jon lives on a mysterious island and wears nothing!

No comments: