Friday, May 1, 2009

IS MY SPACE REALLY MINE?

No pictures in this post; I'll hold them for the next one. I just wanted to vent a bit. A few weeks ago I decided to join MySpace and have been gradually establishing a presence there. (Find me at www.myspace.com/jafluddspace.)  In the last week or so I've started posting artwork on MySpace and have been noticing that half of the drawings I put there have been disappearing! Really! One of the drawings I selected, as a matter of fact, is the title image (look above) for this very Blog! Another is one of the first pieces I put here, "The Scene They Didn't Show You In Brokeback Mountain!" MySpace has been tearing down my pictures! Seriously! They seem to think the drawings in question are "too sexual". I want to go on record here: I hate censorship. Hate it. I don't like the implication that I do "dirty" pictures. I resent the climate of fear and loathing of the human body in our culture. I resent the demonization of anything sexual that our society fosters. What in the hell are people so afraid of? What possible harm could any of the things that I posted on MySpace--not one of them depicted an exposed penis or a sex act--have done to anyone? Why this fear of the appreciation of male beauty? If I weren't planning to investigate using it for business purposes in the near future, I would seriously consider removing my space from MySpace.

No comments: